[lbo-talk] Feminism: equality or vengeance?

peacenow at theofficenet.com peacenow at theofficenet.com
Wed Nov 16 10:04:31 PST 2005

Until we learn to speak in this new way, we will forever be
> splitting the working class into more and more ineffectual splinters.
>
> Joanna
>
> ^^^^^
> Yes, and the way to win men to feminism is to argue that women's liberation
> will benefit and liberate women _and_ men. Happier women will mean happier
> men.
>

> Charles
What i find profoundly sad and discouraging is that the term feminism simply means the strivings by women (& men as well) to attain rights equal to men. Why we even have to win anyone over is absurd. Just as Indigenous peoples truly should not be having to win nonIndians over to finally SEEING and ending nonstop genocide. Ridiculous, if you ask me. An indicater of how lazy the left continues to be.

Women in the military is not equality. It is simply further degradation as so many female enlistees are raped, harassed and abused. Lyndie England is an example of what militaristic equal rights are all about. Many women soldiers raped while serving in Iraq were raped by fellow soldiers and the military will not provide counciling, much less abortions. Women returning home after serving in Iraq and Afghanistan are more likely to be physically abusive to their spouses and children. Due to the militarization of women, such cases have gone from 3% of domestice violence perpetrated by women against men to 15%. Are we happy now? That is fascism's idea of equality and may be used to prove that women really do want vengeance against men, rather th