[lbo-talk] letter to the editor

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed Nov 16 10:56:53 PST 2005

Doug Henwood wrote:

> It's not just that - it's the tone of high-minded earnestness. I'd
> rather watch Brit Hume snarl.

I don't listen to All things considered -- I don't listen to any news at all. But this objection to "high-minded earnestness" (h-me) is the objection of an armchair radical. I have to listen to h-me all the time from most of the key people in BNCPJ (Bloomington/Normal Citizens for Peace & Justice), and many of them as well as others I talk to _do_ listen to NPR news.

And if, some day, it becomes possible to wean some of them away from both NPR and "h-me," I'll probably have to indulge in a bit of h-me myself.

Moreover, though _you_ may think NPR's news is politically tame, the men that Jan works with on the WebSphere 'team' at State Farm think NPR is wild left, just as the Washington Times thinks Edwards is wild left.

Carrol