[lbo-talk] women dating down

Tom Walker timework at telus.net
Thu Nov 17 14:47:43 PST 2005

The tricky part is in the roller coaster world where the down guy or gal goes up or the up one goes down. Then one of them is bound to think I could do better (worse) than this! Somebody marries up and if they actually catch a break their mate may start looking around for a new wet puppy to rescue. How many of you "lucky" ones have been _there_?

On a more serious note, there was a paper 20 years ago or so by a sociologist speculating that the prot work ethic was largely a bourgeois imitation of the aristocratic tradition of courtly love. If you recall, one of the stock scenarios in romance tales is where the lady fair is out of reach, either because of marital status but most likely because of higher social station. So the knight goes on these "adventures" to win her admiration. It's what Cervantes satirized in Don Quixote.

At my age, I'm about $80,000 a year short of the women I find attractive. I could fake it for a while but then my bank account would run out and where would I be? Broke again with yet another fabulous-looking ex-girlfriend. Better to put on the armour and go out looking for windmills to slay.

The Sandwichman