[lbo-talk] Academia

joanna 123hop at comcast.net
Fri Nov 18 09:02:06 PST 2005

Dennis Redmond wrote:

>Well, there's a difference between US academia (which is in horrible,
>horrible shape right now) and criticism. There's still that 1% of all
>critical academic writing which has crucial, indispensable insights,
>making the hassle of wading through the remaining 99% worth it.

I agree with you about the proportions; that was my experience when doing research. But I don't think you need the 99% to get the 1%. A lot of the really good crit/scholarship I found was pre WWII. That is, it was written when critical output wasn't required for holding on to academic jobs. It was just done by those profs who were sufficiently interested and passionate about their work to go the extra distance.

Joanna