[lbo-talk] Shuttle. Click

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Nov 18 10:48:20 PST 2005

Rotating Bitch wrote:

>Feedback -- real feedback -- might mean reading the whole thing yanno?
>
>http://blog.pulpculture.org/2005/11/18/shuttle-click/

Hey, I like that.

You say:

>Well, when you find a quote by someone who advocates the practice,
>then maybe we can talk about it some more. I suspect you're
>misreading them and pulling what they say out of a larger context.
>As far as I know, no one has said that by taking back the word
>Queer, heterosexism will stop. What they are usually advocating is
>what I'd call is a form of play. I'd say it hails from a long
>tradition of mocking the oppressors.

I suspect some our more serious types would have a problem with the word "play," like the old Leninist who criticized my post-Seattle enthusiasm because what I was celebrating was "carnival, not politics." Play sounds childish, simple, and pleasurable. Not at all the business of grim professional revolutionaries. But the play you're talking about creates solidarity and changes self-images. By reclaiming the insult, you're turning introjected hatred into a defiant pride. And "bitch" is a great word to do that with.

Doug