[lbo-talk] Shuttle. Click

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Sat Nov 19 11:50:59 PST 2005

Kelley wrote:

>There is some forms of taking on the costume of the other and mocking it,
>"Billionaires for Bush". But what else?

There's the Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence. This is from the Los Angeles chapter's website:

"We are members of an international order of 21st century nuns. The Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence was started in San Francisco, California in 1979 by 4 gay men initially as a combination of street theater and political activism. They inspired 1000's. Today, there are about 26 different orders in 7 countries, consisting of gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, and non-gay nuns. No matter where we are, our mission is the same: Public Manifestation, Habitual Perpetration, The Expiation of Stigmatic Guilt & The Promulgation of Universal Joy."

Once when I was living in San Francisco I was walking up from the underground Castro street station. I could hear a lot of commotion on the street before I could see anything and when I reached the top of the stairs I saw one of the Sisters standing in the street. She was saying, in this big booming queer voice, "hold him until the police come." There was a crowd on the street and in the middle of it was a group holding down a kid who had come to the neighborhood to beat people up.