[lbo-talk] Re: No cock left behind

boddi satva lbo.boddi at gmail.com
Fri Nov 18 13:25:44 PST 2005

C. Doug,

You know perfectly well I never wrote "but that's so GAY!" so why do you put it in quotes? I didn't use an exclamation point and the words aren't mine. I wrote: "Yoshie, GAY." You have assumed that it was pejorative because you expect any man who talks about male heterosexual desire to be anti-gay. You've spoken positively of prostitutes and female porn stars in the past. Are you anti-gay?

No.

I was clearly reminding Yoshie that it was unsurprising a GAY man knew men who saw their penises as objects of desire. Since my POINT was that male objectification tends to make it easier for people to objectify themselves and since GAY men objectify other men much the same way STRAIGHT men objectify women, it's not surprising that there should be GAY men who find it easier than most men to see their bodies as objects of desire (and thus "love" those bodies).

To say that SCIENCE "always presumes some pre-existing sense of physicality outside discourse" is exactly right. Did you learn nothing from the Sokal hoax? The presumption of SCIENCE is that nature is as it is and we always see it through an imperfect lens. We therefore test our subjective discourse against objective Nature.

One can assume, as philosophers often do, that man is perfectly subjective and detached from nature. But this would suggest that man is not an animal, which was a popular notion when we looked to philosophy rather than science to explain our origins and Universe. I think sexuality, particularly heterosexuality looked at in terms of the majority of people over lots of time, is the one area where we would expect humans to be most animal-like. I think that, in some ways, that's obviously true.

Let me put it this way: how much do you like looking at girls and how much do you think you were taught to like it versus just plain liking it?

boddi