[lbo-talk] SSRIs

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 18 15:36:47 PST 2005

With bipolar, talk therapy helps if it keeps you on drugs, as I said. Manic depressives are always going off their meds. I don't knwo the study you name. But I know the literature on this pretty well, and the verdict is: with bipolar disorder, drugs are mandatory, talk is optional and may help a bit if it keeps you on your drugs. That's pretty much it. This is important, because if you're bipolar and don't take drugs, you stand a 25% chance of killing yourself. That's the suicide rate for untreated bipolar disorder. Talk therapy won't hurt, but you have to take your fuckin' meds.