[lbo-talk] A sample from Bob Dylan's memoir

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Nov 18 19:19:57 PST 2005

andie nachgeborenen wrote:

> Too bad. Don't listen to Bob, then. Go listen to your
> old Phil Ochs records. That stuff bores me these
> days,a nd Bob has kept me going yeah these many
> decades. jks

I just relistened to some Ochs for the first time in many years a few months ago. His "Bound for Glory" is not as good as Dylan's "Song to Woody" (they exist in separate realms) but it's still pretty good. I think Dylan once accused him of being a journalist rather than a folksinger -- and that's also true. But a few of his songs count as news that stays news -- and that is not to be sneezed at too sniffily.

Carrol

P.S. "Song to Woody" is probably the best poem written by a teenager since the parts of Essay on Criticism written by a teenage Pope.