[lbo-talk] Science Marches On - minus typos

Arash arash at riseup.net
Sat Nov 19 00:52:11 PST 2005

[shouldn't send messages to the list at night while watching TV]

>But how do you know that your perception of the "data from your
>external environment" reflects what actually exists in the
>external environment? --Epistemological regress here.
>(Nietzschean knots!)
>
>Miles

You know by the consistent verification you get from a variety of experiments testing the hypothesis. That's how we really "know" any fact. And such facts are open to empirical refutation. Yeah, it's always possibly we're just brains in vats but then they've done a damn good job at hiding the influence of these vats.