[lbo-talk] A sample from Bob Dylan's memoir

alessandro coricelli acoricelli at mac.com
Sat Nov 19 08:13:34 PST 2005

On Nov 19, 2005, at 7:46 AM, John Adams wrote:

> From: amadeus amadeus <amadeus482000 at yahoo.com>
>
>> Ochs' "Love Me, I'm A Liberal" still rings true to me. Jello Biafra
>> did an updated version of this song in the '90s.
>
> There are those who will disagree with me on this, but Eugene
> Chadbourne is the pre-eminent interpreter of Phil Ochs in our time,
> and also the best protest musician in the English language. This
> probably explains why he's not a huge success.

among current/recent Phil Ochs' interpreters we should identify at least two categories: 1) the "induced" ones (the ones that have been invited to do so by Sonny Ochs); 2) the ones who've done it on their own (endogenously. Yes, there is such a thing as endogenous cultural development).

In the second category we should mention Ani DiFranco (not new to this activity at all). Her version of "When I'm Gone" is a jewel (BTW, try this simple exercise, read the lyrics of When I'm Gone and Girl of the North Country and tell me if you don't find the same "spirit". They are both clearly epitaphs). Two last things. Phil Ochs was destined to do what Dylan did. His last concert at Carnegie Hall is there as a self evident example (is what Dylan did at the Royal Albert Hall, with some variations). Phil Ochs found many "Remicks" back then, calling him a sellout and stuff. 'Hope we won't forget that.

ciao, alessandro