[lbo-talk] Reading Capital II: Quantum mutatus ab illo!

Tom Walker timework at telus.net
Sat Nov 19 09:07:59 PST 2005

Wouldn't this be putting the theoretical cart before the class struggle horse? Although some might quarrel with my interpretation and most might simply say "huh?", what Marx sought to do in Capital was to give theoretical articulation to a historically present form of class struggle. And that form was precisely the struggle for the limitation and reduction of the working day. Every thing else in the book (and attached to it) is subordinate to that purpose.

"The limitation of the working-day is a preliminary condition without which all further attempts at improvement and emancipation must prove abortive."

"In place of the pompous catalogue of the 'inalienable rights of man' come the modest Magna Charta of a legally limited working-day, which shall make clear 'when the time which the worker sells is ended, and when his own begins.' Quantum mutatus ab illo!"

The Sandwichman

Yoshie wrote,