[lbo-talk] A Pathetic Congress (and Opposition)

Nathan Newman nathanne at nathannewman.org
Sat Nov 19 12:18:01 PST 2005

----- Original Message ----- From: "Yoshie Furuhashi" <furuhashi.1 at osu.edu>

Nathan Newman nathanne at nathannewman.org
> The House GOP refuses to allow actual bills calling for withdrawal
> that could garner signficant vote support and instead proposes one
> designed to embarass withdrawal supporters

Yoshie said: -If the House GOP succeeds in embarrassing the Democrats, isn't it -because most Americans at all points of the political spectrum -- -except people in your position -- would find it odd for them not to -vote for both?

Only if they buy the idea that the antiwar position is a mindless vacuous approach without any subtlely, so that the exact approach to leaving Iraq is irrelevant. But because you see the antiwar position as simplistic, you can't understand those who oppose the war but also think HOW you oppose the war matters. So details for them do matter.

And Doug wrote: -Ok, but what are your apologetics for FIghting Nancy Pelosi's -attempts to distance herself from Murtha?

You mean this distancing by Peolsi: http://releases.usnewswire.com/GetRelease.asp?id=57000 "House Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi today spoke late this evening in strong opposition to a sham Republican proposal to smear Congressman John Murtha of Pennsylvania, who has proposed immediate redeployment of troops from Iraq... "Mr. Murtha has dealt the mighty blow of truth to the President's failed Iraq policy. The American people have rallied to Jack Murtha's message of truth. But (to Republican colleagues) 'you can't handle the truth.' Why are the Republicans so afraid of the facts?"

Yes-- I'm sure Doug can find some quote where Pelosi disagreed with Murtha on some specifics, but it is exactly the Left antiwar folks' approach of searching for heretics, rather than celebrating close allies, that explains the launching and continuation of a war in Iraq that never had real support by the American people.

Every sane opponent of the war should be emphasizing how many politicians in Congress identify with Murtha's position, not joining the rightwing in trying to create divisions among the growing antiwar forces.

Nathan Newman