[lbo-talk] letter to the NYT's public editor

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sat Nov 19 13:43:41 PST 2005

To the Public Editor <public at nytimes.com> -

I think the Times owes a response to James Bamford's reporting on Judith Miller in Rolling Stone <http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/story/_/id/8798997?pageid=rs.Home&pageregion=single7&rnd=1132253345109&has-player=false>. Miller, encouraged by the Rendon PR firm (which had largely created Chalabi's Iraqi National Congress) boosted the claims of Adnan Ihsan Saeed al-Haideri" about Iraq's WMDs, even though the CIA had determined him to be a liar. The White House cited Miller's articles in the run-up to war.

Searching on al-Haideri's name at the NYT website, I see this from Daniel Okrent:

<http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9C06E7DC1E3EF933A05756C0A9629C8B63&pagewanted=all>

And this from the Editors <http://select.nytimes.com/search/restricted/article?res=F20E15FC3E5A0C758EDDAC0894DC404482>

>On Dec. 20, 2001, another front-page article began, ''An Iraqi
>defector who described himself as a civil engineer said he
>personally worked on renovations of secret facilities for
>biological, chemical and nuclear weapons in underground wells,
>private villas and under the Saddam Hussein Hospital in Baghdad as
>recently as a year ago.'' Knight Ridder Newspapers reported last
>week that American officials took that defector -- his name is Adnan
>Ihsan Saeed al-Haideri -- to Iraq earlier this year to point out the
>sites where he claimed to have worked, and that the officials failed
>to find evidence of their use for weapons programs. It is still
>possible that chemical or biological weapons will be unearthed in
>Iraq, but in this case it looks as if we, along with the
>administration, were taken in. And until now we have not reported
>that to our readers.

The truth, as Bamford reports, is even worse than that, and the Times should come clean with its readers, most of whom probably don't pick up Rolling Stone. --

Doug Henwood Left Business Observer 38 Greene St - 4th fl. New York NY 10013-2505 USA <dhenwood at panix.com> <http://www.leftbusinessobserver.com>

voice +1-212-219-0010 fax +1-212-219-0098 cell +1-917-865-2813

producer, Behind the News Thursdays, 5-6 PM, WBAI, New York 99.5 FM <http://www.leftbusinessobserver.com/Radio.html> podcast: <http://shout.lbo-talk.org/lbo/RadioArchive/2005/dircaster.php> ------------------------------------------------------------------------ download my book Wall Street (for free!) at <http://www.wallstreetthebook.com>