[lbo-talk] Instinct

boddi satva lbo.boddi at gmail.com
Sat Nov 19 13:50:24 PST 2005

Okay, but let's not lose sight of the first words: "hunger is hunger." Clearly the instincts to eat and drink and get out of the cold shape human society and these demonstably pre-exist human society. Moreover, people will violate social norms if they feel these instincts too strongly. Therefore instinct clearly underlies social behavior.

Again, I say thay because our inclination to have sex develops after much of our understanding of society is formed we may not immediately see ourselves as instinctively sexual, but we really don't have to look very hard to see the sexual instinct which underlays social interaction, just as thirst, hunger and the need for protection from the elements do.

boddi