[lbo-talk] A Pathetic Congress (and Opposition)

Nathan Newman nathanne at nathannewman.org
Sat Nov 19 14:41:38 PST 2005

Carrol Cox wrote:
>I find it hard to believe that someone as knowledgeable and intelligent
>as Nathan can peddle this sort of fantasy. I refuse to believe that
>anyone can be so ignorant as to dream that the u.s. will ever, under any
>conditions, support economic reconstruction in Iraq. This is the
>flimsiest possible cover-up for continued U.S. assaults on the lives and
>dignity of the Iraqi people.

-Yup. Couldn't agree more.

Who is this "u.s" as if it's all one undifferentiated mass of people. Of course, there are tens of millions of Americans who support economic reconstruction of Iraq and helping make peoples lives better there.

The fact that you can't separate them from the Bush administration is why the antiwar movement can't connect with the Americans who oppose the war AND care about the fate of Iraqis.

As I've said, the left antiwar movement seems happier attacking liberal opponents of the war than actually trying to build a movement that could end the war.

That the response on this site has been to bash Pelosi and others (who voted against the goddamn war in the first place) because they are actually trying to get a resolution that could actually get a majority at some point is incredible.

-- Nathan