[lbo-talk] We do not need an exit strategy. We need an exit.

Nathan Newman nathanne at nathannewman.org
Sun Nov 20 10:01:54 PST 2005

----- Original Message ----- From: "Carrol Cox" <cbcox at ilstu.edu> -A friend tells me that this was the cover headline of The American -Conservative some months ago. He adds that beside this the Nation's call -is a bit tepid.

That's because the Nation actually gives a shit what happens to the Iraqis, while the racist Buchananites don't want to waste brain cells worrying about the lives of brown people.

The antiwar folks who identify with the xenophobic antiwar right are exactly what's wrong with the left.

What is needed is a left internationalism that actually promotes non-war alternatives to promote human rights and support democracy. Unfortunately, too many leftists want to adopt Buchanite isolationism and cede all talk of human rights and democracy to the neoconservatives.

Nathan