[lbo-talk] A Pathetic Congress (and Opposition? What Opposition?)

Leigh Meyers leighcmeyers at gmail.com
Sun Nov 20 14:47:23 PST 2005

On Saturday, November 19, 2005 5:15 PM [PDT], Nathan Newman <nathanne at nathannewman.org> wrote:

> Imagine a scenario where 100 Democrats voted Present and the other
> half voted Yes, which was a likely outcome of your strategy. That
> would have really registered overwhelming support for the war.

As far as I've been able to discern,the Democrats *DO* overwhelmingly support the incursion into Iraq... Because their constituents' way of life (The American Way [tm]) absolutely depends on maintaining the flow of oil and natural gas from the middle east and beyond (C. Asia, Caspian)

There's absolutely NO DIFFERENCE between the two parties in respect to those geopolitical issues and it's been that way for a long long time.

The only lack of support for the war amongst Dems, including Murta, is the feeling that we're looting the treasury to prosecute the war and probably won't win. There is scant, if any support for the position that we should get out because murdering Iraqi civilians en masse is somehow heinous, criminal, or morally wrong.

That's nothing new... and that's why I despise demopublicans and republicrats.

That criticism also applies to any other party or orgs that only oppose the war because it is to their political advantage, not because the give a rat's ass about dead Iraqis. ===

"If they can get you to ask the wrong questions

they don't have to worry about the answers" --Thomas Pynchon, Gravity's Rainbow (Proverbs for Paranoids)

Leigh