[lbo-talk] We do not need an exit strategy. We need an exit.

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Sun Nov 20 15:50:56 PST 2005

Nathan wrote:

> [...]

It's not like any one resolution has to have EVERYTHING in it to be worth voting for. The Democrats could have voted for all these three if they had wanted to:

1 the Republican resolution for immediate withdrawal (which was non- binding and Republicans wouldn't vote for anyway -- so even pro-war Democrats could have voted for it, knowing that it wouldn't pass and would be of partisan significance only) 2 the Democratic resolution for "withdrawal" with many loopholes for the right to meddle in Iraq and the rest of the region continuously 3 a resolution -- to be authored later -- for reparations to the Iraqi people

Really, though, reparations is the last thing on the Democratic mind. When politicians say money for reconstruction, they mean money for American corporations -- nothing has and will trickle down to ordinary Iraqis (only some elite Iraqis will get a cut).

Yoshie Furuhashi <http://montages.blogspot.com> <http://monthlyreview.org> <http://mrzine.org>