[lbo-talk] SSRIs

James Heartfield Heartfield at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Nov 21 10:03:08 PST 2005

I can agree that brain chemistry and firing neurons are the physical substrate of thought, the stuff of which it is made, at one level. But then I could say, too, that the painting on the roof od the Sistine Chapel is made of pigments, vegetable dyes and crushed minerals etc. (so to speak). That would not address those other things that the painting is made of: representations, symbols, allegories, techniques of colour and shading and so on. The mind is made of neurons and hormones etc, but it is also made of concepts, intuitions, directedness, etc. I guess that the latter group are 'made' of the former, though I suspect that even if by impossible coincidence the same array of electrical and chemical activity were to occur twice in the same they might well express quite distinct thoughts.

To say that thoughts are nothing but chemicals and electrical activity seems to me to make as much sense as the idea that a chair is nothing but cellulose fibres.

(And all of that is to set aside the fact that most thoughts, most of the time, are not held in brains, but on paper, or more recently, in computers, waiting, inert, to be juggled about again by brains, from time to time; or that thoughts often exist in the form of spoken words, vibrations of air passing from larynx to ear-drum. For that matter why do we insist that the mind is only in the brain; isn't it just as much in the finger tips, or in the point of the carving chisel?)