[lbo-talk] Instinct

Arash arash at riseup.net
Tue Nov 22 07:38:46 PST 2005

joanna wrote:

> I know I've said this before and I apologize for being boring, but the
> problem is not so much with sexuality as it is with the desire for
> control, which makes us insist that our sexual identity be one thing
> only and that it never change. That's really as odd as any sexual
> "perversion" you'd care to name.

I actually see the converse as a desire for control, to insist that sexual orientation can be swayed just by mental effort and social stimulation. In it's drive to control sexual behavior, the Christian right tenaciously holds to this premise, insisting no one can be born gay. I think that the position that sexual attraction is outside the domain of choice and stable over a lifetime actually does testify to the experience of many (not all) people and that, over just a desire for control or certainty, explains it's popular currency. It is interesting though that the acceptance of this position seems to diverge along male/female lines. The experience may not be the same for both sexes.