[lbo-talk] Thing Doug asked me/ Russian Income Maps

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 22 10:04:00 PST 2005

Doug wrote:

Leningrad? Does anyone still call it that?

I don't see any stats for Leningrad city, which would be the proper point of comparison with Moscow city. Is it available?

Doug ---

St. Petersburg is located inside Leningrad Oblast (Region), as Moscow is located inside Moscow Oblast.

Average income of St. Petersburg according to ye olde handy map is 10,229.2 rubles, as opposed to 8171.6 rubles in the outlying Oblast and 12,969.4 rubles in Moscow city.

Yoshie: yes, Goskomstat runs a really cool website. They also have maps on the size of the subsistence minumum (http://www.gks.ru/gis/D_01.htm ), minimum cost oer month for a food basket (http://www.gks.ru/gis/D_05.htm ), unemployment (http://www.gks.ru/gis/D_06.htm ), and number of registered crimes -- over 160,000 in Moscow! (http://www.gks.ru/gis/D_07.htm ).

However, I'm not aware of anything done in such a fashion through time, and the data go back only to 1992. I imagine it would be hard to compare it with previous Soviet-era data, as the system was much different and records were often, um, fiddled with.

Nu, zayats, pogodi!