[lbo-talk] Chomsky on Srebrenica & "genocide"

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Nov 22 11:15:08 PST 2005

Michael Pugliese wrote:

> Once again just put up with Marko's excesses with the , "Z magazine
>neo-Stalinists, " rhetoric and read his piece,
>http://www-hjs.pet.cam.ac.uk/sections/greater_europe/document.2005-11-21.8955930068

Why? What's the fucking point?

Your pal Marko is a devious hack who writes sentences like this: "Yet faced with Brockes's exposure of his position, he and his circle of fans retreated from their pro-free-speech position, and organised a campaign of denunciation of Brockes, bombarding the Guardian with letters of complaint, and eventually bullying this spineless newspaper into issuing an unequivocal apology and retraction.." As The Guardian was forced to admit, there was no exposure of Chomsky's position; there was a Q/A concocted to look like an interview that never happened.

I'm no uncritical Chomsky fan, but these attacks are a ritual of membership in the media elite and a rite of passage for hacks making a rightward move. But you're not one of those, Michael, so why this obsession? Leave this shit to Eric Alterman.

Doug