[lbo-talk] We can lose, or we can just lose later

boddi satva lbo.boddi at gmail.com
Wed Nov 23 05:50:42 PST 2005

Oh Chuck,

Let's not forget the other cheery possibilities - the establishment of an Iranian-backed Hizbullah government in Southern Iraq and a Turkish invasion of Northern Iraq the minute we get out.

A childhood friend of mine is in the Marine Corps and went back into active duty. He's serving right now in Fallujah. He's quite a right-winger but of course I have sent words of encouragement and support (even though I think he's a lunatic, I NEVER miss an opportunity to thank our soldiers for their service). I did have to remind him, however, that the Left (along with a right-wing sliver of the Israel lobby) were the only people in the US who decried our support for Saddam Hussein back in the 80's.

Now I think the Bush administration is on the brink of a tremendous achievement: an outcome that actually might prove worse for Iraqis than Saddam Hussein in the long run. It's really astounding when you think about it. Conservatives support a fascist maniac to contain the Iranian Islamists and could end up giving the Shiite mullahs half of Iraq, giving Al-qaeda a permanent presence in the Sunni Triangle and creating the necessary conditions for a war between a well-armed Pesh Merga and Turkey. How many times do you hit a foreign policy trifecta like that?

boddi