[lbo-talk] No Business As Usual-National Day of Absence

Charles Brown cbrown at michiganlegal.org
Wed Nov 23 07:40:21 PST 2005

I read your posts. I guess I just forgot about it.

No, the bourgeois press is not going to promote something like this. But the organizers could have used emails and posters. I don't recall seeing a single poster about this, despite the NYC council endorsement. Maybe it's just because, as some of my WBAI colleagues like to say, I'm just not out in the "community."

City councils do endorse all sorts of things in a pro forma way, of course.

Doug

^^^^^ CB: No problem. I first found out about it in an email. I don't know that the initiators didn't announce it in mass emailings; I sent it to several email lists. It probably was in their paper. I'm for posters, but then I haven't sent them any money lately.

Given their resources and network, they put the word out as best they could. They got it to me. I got it to y'all.

It was a rapid response ( concrete analysis of the concrete situation, flexibility of tactics not rigidity) to developing events such as especially the Katrina disaster in New Orleans. Somethings have to be planned and executed quickly, not a year in advance.

There's a big coincidence here, in that Mother Rosa Parks died in the interim of the initiative to celebrate her historical act, juicing up the significance of the action considerably. See Carrol on contingency in revolutionary processes. Go with the flow.