[lbo-talk] myth in Kansas

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Wed Nov 23 07:38:21 PST 2005

Doug quoted:

> Earlier this month the Kansas Board of Education voted in favor of
> teaching public-school students about criticism of evolutionary
> theory. Before and since that vote, there has been a public war of
> words between Steve Abrams, chairman of the Kansas Board of
> Education, and Robert E. Hemenway, the university's chancellor.

"Pick your enemies wisely, because you will become like them" and old adage goes. I do not understand why otherwise intelligent people give any attention to this religious bullshit and even debate it. If someone desperately wants to be ignorant and stupid - let him. It is actually good for those of us who want to pursue careers in science and education - less competition. Fortunately, we live in a class society which provides an effective mechanism for socio-economic separation between people with brains from bible-thumping bumpkins. The latter can have their bible bullshit which qualifies them to work minimum wage jobs at Wal-Marts and Burger Kings, while the educated folk can have their good jobs that require knowledge and analytical skills. What is wrong with that?

Wojtek