[lbo-talk] myth in Kansas

Mark Bennett mab at straussandasher.com
Wed Nov 23 08:09:10 PST 2005

Wojtek Sokolowski

Doug quoted:

> Earlier this month the Kansas Board of Education voted in favor of
> teaching public-school students about criticism of evolutionary
> theory. Before and since that vote, there has been a public war of
> words between Steve Abrams, chairman of the Kansas Board of Education,

> and Robert E. Hemenway, the university's chancellor.

"Pick your enemies wisely, because you will become like them" and old adage goes. I do not understand why otherwise intelligent people give any attention to this religious bullshit and even debate it. If someone desperately wants to be ignorant and stupid - let him. It is actually good for those of us who want to pursue careers in science and education - less competition. Fortunately, we live in a class society which provides an effective mechanism for socio-economic separation between people with brains from bible-thumping bumpkins. The latter can have their bible bullshit which qualifies them to work minimum wage jobs at Wal-Marts and Burger Kings, while the educated folk can have their good jobs that require knowledge and analytical skills. What is wrong with that?

Wojtek

Well, I suppose that the primary justification for battling the religious right on these matters is that the assholes won't stop with intelligent design, or with outlawing abortion. If they prevail on ID, they will then try to suppress formal instruction in evolutionary theory; just as they won't stop with overruling Roe v. Wade: after Roe, they'll go after Griswold and contraception. So it's something of a "fight 'em now, or fight 'em later" dilemma.