[lbo-talk] give Thanks with Hitch

paul childs npchilds at shaw.ca
Wed Nov 23 08:27:49 PST 2005

> Wall Street Journal - November 23, 2005
>
> 'The Turkey Has Landed'
> By CHRISTOPHER HITCHENS
>
> Concerning Thanksgiving, that most distinctive and
> unique of all
> American holidays,

>Canada also celebrates Thanksgiving, though in late
>October. (Our late Nov. date was decreed by Congress
>in the 1940s, I believe.) Hitch's grip on the facts
>is getting shaky.

Actually, early October, second weekend of the month and on a Monday, ie. when the weather is still pretty nice in most parts here in the sub-arctic, but point taken. Almost every culture has some kind of fall/harvest celebration (going back to pagan times, natch), however tying it in with football, gluttony and the official start of the Xmas useless over consumption fest is pretty uniquely American. Consume mass quantities! Mipps! Mipps!

And I think facts stopped mattering to Hitch some time ago. Ponderous, bloated, pandering, rhetorical excess like this would only smother facts anyway, so why bother?

PC

N P Childs

'I'm Mister Bad Example, the stranger in the dirt, I like to have a good time and I don't care who gets hurt'.

-Mr. Bad Example, W Zevon