[lbo-talk] No Business As Usual-National Day of Absence

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Wed Nov 23 11:59:39 PST 2005

Chuck0 wrote:

> Why March of next year? Because ANSWER organizes protests six
> months apart.
> These protests aren't designed to end the war or change public
> opinion,
> but to convinve the left that ANSWER is a player.
>
> The fact that ANSWER's next big protest is next March--following a
> pattern they've used for years--simply confirms my criticism that they
> have no strategy and should be rejected by the antiwar movements. Any
> reading of the current political situation would come up with the
> conclusion that the Bush administration and the pro-war crowd is on
> the
> defensive. Public opinion is hard set against them and their war. The
> time to be protesting is NOW, not at a convenient time for ANSWER five
> months from now.
>
> What would be my strategy? What I've been planning to suggest to my
> network is that anti-war activists step up the frequency of their
> local
> protests.

I'm not opposed to national demonstrations on anniversaries like the beginning of the Iraq War, but I agree with Chuck that the anti-war movement sorely needs something other than those ritual manifestations. More local protests are good and necessary, but what are the targets and means of the protests?

Yoshie Furuhashi <http://montages.blogspot.com> <http://monthlyreview.org> <http://mrzine.org>