[lbo-talk] Man, what a disappointment

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 23 18:33:30 PST 2005

The Nobel Lit prize is really sort of a lifetime acheivement award, not actually given, unlike, say, the National Book Award or the Booker Prize, for particular works. Personally I think S is overrated altogether, though the First Circle, Cancer Ward, Ivan Denisovich, and some other relative early works are fine and important novels. The Prize Committee is highly political.

The GA is a different sort of thing. IT isn't really literature at all. It's a compendenium of information, stories, rumors -- basically a former zek dumping his clipping file on the floor, Some bits are good, some are interesting, some are just myths, but it's not a literary account of Gulag in the way that Ginsberg's Into The Whirlwind is, much less Natasha MAndestam's Hope Agaisnt Hope and Hope Abandoned. I got rid of vols 2 and 3, they seemed much of a muchness to me. But IU kept vol. 1.

For a history of the Gulag, read Medvedev (from the left) or Conquest (from the right), both are good, solid, and as far as I know reliable works, though Conquest's body count is way too high, as we know from Getty's and other research.