[lbo-talk] Re: Instinct

Arash arash at riseup.net
Thu Nov 24 00:39:52 PST 2005

> I think while the existence of such a notion is explained by the
> fact that many people experience their sexuality this way, its
> dominance is more satisfactorily explained by the desire for
> control.

I see how this notion, sexual attraction remaining relatively fixed, conforms with a desire for control, if there are no gray areas about one's sexual orientation there is no need to question it, but I don't see how the opposite notion is any less compatible with a desire for control. From the position that sexual attraction is freely mutable, those who with a desire to control would have justification to be very active about that control, calling for things like the reinforcement of our society's macho-style to preserve heterosexuality. So if both positions are compatible with the desire for control, I don't see how that could satisfactorily explain the dominance of one position over the other.

Arash