[lbo-talk] Fwd: Fwd: Should Wal-Mart Hike Prices?

W. Kiernan wkiernan at ij.net
Fri Nov 25 08:20:28 PST 2005

Michael Pugliese quotes Alan Reynolds, a nationally syndicated columnist

> ...at Costco, where people wait in line to buy giant TVs,

> diamond jewelry, expensive wine and notoriously big

> packages. But...

Dude's never been in a Costco! Not once, never, guaranteed. I wish I could get big bucks for totally talking out my ass.

If you haven't ever been in a Costco, it's a warehouse, exactly the same decor as a Home Depot: bare concrete floors, twenty-foot-high industrial metal shelving, lots of goods in shipping crates, ladders and electric forklifts. Setting up a product display at Costco consists of cutting the aisle-side face off the corrugated-cardboard shipping box with a box-cutter, and taping a price tag on the bottom of the box. Costco stores make Wal-Mart stores look like Saks 5th Ave. Anyway the correct comparison to Costco would not be the Wal-Mart retail stores, open to all, but the member's-only Sam's Club warehouse outlets.

Yours WDK - WKiernan at ij.net