[lbo-talk] We can lose, or we can just lose later

Louis Kontos Louis.Kontos at liu.edu
Fri Nov 25 18:06:21 PST 2005

I agree mostly with what you say. Many obvious things could be added about what is wrong with an uncritical (or pseudo-critical) celebration of the military, especially of the world's superpower. At the same time, since we are all connected with this phenomenon -- the occupation of Iraq -- as well as with military personnel (family members, people we know, students, etc.) we need to address the claim that we (people who oppose the invasion and occupation of Iraq) don't care about the 'troops'. The answer to that accusation should be simple, since the people that are sending them to kill and be killed can't provide any credible justification -- even stretching the bounds of credulity, whatever benefit of doubt can be given. The current adventure is based on transparent lies. So I see nothing wrong with calling war-mangers and their apologists to task on the basis of claims about necessity, morality, history etc. Why not call people to task, to account for themselves, especially when they advocate or apologize for mass death and destruction?