[lbo-talk] We can lose, or we can just lose later

Gar Lipow the.typo.boy at gmail.com
Sat Nov 26 09:22:41 PST 2005

On 11/26/05, Leigh Meyers <leighcmeyers at gmail.com> wrote:

> > I mean, what is it exactly that you are thanking them for?
> >

> For doing what they believe is the "right thing"... Even if it isn't
> We all make mistakes.
> --
> Leigh

That explains why you might have sympathy for them, maybe even respect. It does not explain gratitude. You do not thank someone for an honest mistake that does great harm. I will repeat the examples of my parents who worked closely with veterans of the Vietnam War to help them obtain their rights - and even ended up with Nixon spending Christmas Holidays at the White House pushing to VA to catch up on giving veterans their benefits. They became great friends with the local Vietnam Vets,were even declared honorary veterans. But my parents never expressed one moments gratitude for the Vets having gone to Vietnam or pretended that anyone was better off for having done so. People in other trades or professions do not get gratitude for major fuckups - even if done with the best of intentions, due largely to the malice of others. You may not hold it against them, you may even have sympathy for them and solidarity with them - but you do not fucking thank them.

-- Please note: Personal messages should be sent to [garlpublic] followed by the [at] sign with isp of [comcast], then [dot] and then an extension of net