[lbo-talk] We can lose, or we can just lose later

boddi satva lbo.boddi at gmail.com
Sat Nov 26 09:23:12 PST 2005

Yoshie, this is really amazing:

We exchange:

> > I'm thanking them for doing what the civilian government of the US
> > asks them to do at a time when that is a shitty, disheartening,
> > dangerous job.
>
> The US doesn't ask them to do the "shitty, disheartening, dangerous
> job" -- it's the White House and Congress that do.

Except that I wrote "the civilian government of the US". How, exactly is that different from "the White House and Congress"? Do you read things before you respond to them?

If soldiers
> stopped doing the job that the White House and Congress order them to
> do, a majority of the American people, as well as the rest of the
> world, would have a great deal to thank them for. That would be a
> deed to be remembered in history, as a favor to humanity (and to
> themselves).

No, it wouldn't. Do you really want soldiers making their own law? Or, do you want them to follow the law? Think about it. When soldiers don't follow the law, it hasn't generally worked out well for left-wingers, women, and minorities, has it? In fact, when soldiers have decided to make their own law it has really worked out horribly for humanity.

> If the United States were a democracy, soldiers would be all back
> home from Iraq by now.

That's just a stupid thing to say. Decisions are made by elections, not polls.

> > the soldiers who work for my government are my responsibilty
>
> Our responsibility to them is to make sure that their veterans'
> benefits, health care benefits, etc. won't be cut by the Right.

Right and we should give them monetary benefits but not thanks. That makes sense because.....???

> > If I disagree with the Bush administration, I can do all manner of
> > things to protest. Soldiers can't.
>
> Soldiers should protest. Their protest will be more powerful than
> civilians'.

Yeah, protesting soldiers have proved very powerful in history. Well-armed people tend to get themselves listened to. That particular form of protest is generally known as a "coup d'etat" or "armed sedition" but it is quite powerful, no question.

Seriously, do you live in the real world?

boddi