[lbo-talk] Re: Instinct

joanna 123hop at comcast.net
Sat Nov 26 19:35:36 PST 2005

Miles Jackson wrote:

> No, you're not getting it. It's about changing the social practices
> that make these categories important in society; it really isn't about
> altering mental categories. My point is simple: prejudice and
> discrimination require stable categories; thus prejudice and
> discrimination on the basis of some category can be eliminated by
> getting rid of the stable categories.

Yes, if you will all recollect, there was some business about the King of Sweden stating that if Jews in Sweden were required to wear yellow stars, he would wear one. They then dropped that one quickly.

I will cry myself hoarse that the game of identity politics is a losing one. I said it thirty five years ago and I say it still. And that includes sexual orientation.

Joanna