[lbo-talk] A Journey That Ended in Anguish (LA Times)

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Sun Nov 27 07:02:23 PST 2005

>From: Jim Farmelant <farmelantj at juno.com>
>
>WASHINGTON - Col. Ted Westhusing, a military ethicist who
>volunteered to go to Iraq, was upset by what he saw. His apparent
>suicide raises questions. By T. Christian Miller.
>
>http://email.latimes.com/cgi-bin1/DM/y/evbm0KfmIN0G2B0G5eJ0EJ

Re: " ... His friends and family struggle with the idea that Westhusing could have killed himself. He was a loving father and husband and a devout Catholic. He was an extraordinary intellect and had mastered ancient Greek and Italian. He had less than a month before his return home. It seemed impossible that anything could crush the spirit of a man with such a powerful sense of right and wrong. ..."

I'm sorry, but I see no evidence of Westhusing's "extraordinary intellect" in this article. There is a degree of naiveté that is indistinguishable from stupidity, and this sad story presents just such a case.

Carl