[lbo-talk] Who Knew ? Bill Clinton, Social Democrat !

Michael Pugliese michael.098762001 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 27 13:12:52 PST 2005

One of my DSA pals, an AFSCME union pres. at Univ. of Colorado, Boulder, just told me a tidbit I had not known before. Bill Clinton's girlfriend when he was at Georgetown Univ. in the 60's was left-wing economist to be Ann Markusen.He met her at Left Hand books in Boulder a few yrs. ago. She related how the Clinton campaign had contacted her in the summer of '92 in order to counter-act the, "bimbo eruptions, " to show that Bill had had brainy girlfriends as well as the less than brainy types. She declined to be a spokesperson or make any type of public statement on behalf of the campaign because she was worried her participation in marxist-feminist study groups in the 70's would be digged up by the Right-Wing.

Bill has always played both sides of the street. Friends in SDS and the anti-war MOBE, writers for Ramparts like Derek Shearer are his left face. Then there is/was the DLC Right Face from which he by and large governed from.