[lbo-talk] Empire Smart vs. Empire Stupid

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 27 23:49:33 PST 2005

I just got back to Moscow on the train from Kazan, Tatarstan. Anyway among other things something that most struck me was that the Kazan Kremlin is dominated by two immense structures: a gorgeous, gold-encrusted Russian Orthodox Church and a gorgeous, gold-encrusted, mosque about 200 meters from it (there's also a gorgeous synagogue and about a dozen other mosques and churches in the town itself). Anyway, not only does this exemplify the long history of uneasy friendship/alliance between Islam and Russian Orthodoxy, it shows what smart empires do. If the US had been smart, the first thing it would have done after conquering Baghdad would have been to BUILD A GIANT MOSQUE, rather then bombing the existing ones.

In any case I had a great time. Tatar both sounds and looks really cool, and thus I picked up a Russian-Tatar teach-yourself-Tatar book, and got a couple of CDs of Tatar folk and pop music. Interesting but not surprising to have my earlier impression reinforced that Tatars physically look much less "Asian" than their fellow Golden Hordlings the Uzbeks, Kazakhs, and Mongols, probably for the same reason that Russians look less "European" than Germans -- Tatars and Russians have been intermarrying for hundreds of years. The world's most famous Tatar, Marat Safin (whose first name, traditionally spelled, would be Murad), could easily pass for an Italian, methinks. Or a Turk.

Nu, zayats, pogodi!

__________________________________ Yahoo! Music Unlimited Access over 1 million songs. Try it free. http://music.yahoo.com/unlimited/