[lbo-talk] We can lose, or we can just lose later

Mark Bennett mab at straussandasher.com
Mon Nov 28 08:49:48 PST 2005

Carl Remick

[I'll grant you this: Egregious as Boddi's simpleminded POV may be, it's preferable to the utter contempt toward US troops shown by neocon Robert D. Kaplan in his new book _Imperial Grunts: The American Military on the Ground_. This is from the NY Times review of Kaplan's book yesterday:]

... [I]t turns out we've been too thrifty with our troops; to prevail in the war on terror, he [Kaplan] advises, we ought to become more tolerant of American casualties. So what's the holdup? "It was the elites that had a more difficult time with the deaths of soldiers and marines." Their concern is misplaced. The grunts have an "unpretentious willingness to die," which is in part "the product of their working-class origins. The working classes had always been accustomed to rough, unfair lives and turns." ...

Carl