[lbo-talk] the underprivileged soldier?

Matt lbo3 at beyondzero.net
Mon Nov 28 16:31:29 PST 2005

On Mon, Nov 28, 2005 at 07:14:10PM -0500, Doug Henwood wrote:
> [I'm not sure if I trust anything coming out of Heritage, but this
> does comport with some other research I've seen.]
>
> <http://news.yahoo.com/s/usatoday/20051128/cm_usatoday/debunkingthemythoftheunderprivilegedsoldier;_ylt=AlWbZRYvkzY8hd7qSZNWg5us0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTA3YWFzYnA2BHNlYwM3NDI->
>
> Debunking the myth of the underprivileged soldier
> By Tim Kane and James Jay Carafano
> Mon Nov 28, 7:36 AM ET

[...]

> According to a comprehensive study of all enlistees for the years
> 1998-99 and 2003 that The Heritage Foundation just released, the
> typical recruit in the all-volunteer force is wealthier, more
> educated and more rural than the average 18- to 24-year-old citizen
> is. Indeed, for every two recruits coming from the poorest
> neighborhoods, there are three recruits coming from the richest
> neighborhoods.

[snip]

I think I read the original stats back when this study started circulating as a reference in other punditry. IIRC their study found that 85% of recruits come from households with incomes ranging from $30,000 to $200,000. IOW, >= $30,000 is "wealthy".

Such a range is silly, as people whose household earns $30,000 have as little in common with the $200,000 household as they do the Queen of England. Not even remotely comparable financial issues.

Matt

-- PGP RSA Key ID: 0x1F6A4471 aim: beyondzero123 PGP DH/DSS Key ID: 0xAFF35DF2 icq: 120941588 http://blogdayafternoon.com yahoo msg: beyondzero123

In small proportions we just beauties see, And in short measures life may perfect be.

-Ben Jonson