[lbo-talk] The Working-Poor Draft

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Tue Nov 29 08:07:15 PST 2005

Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:

> With that in mind, the "working poor draft" and other populist leftist
> dogmas, such as that the poor have no responsibility for their own actions,
> and that responsibility rests solely with the elites, or that the existing
> institutional order is nothing but a conspiracy of the elite, are examples
> of the regressive problemshift by regression to the founding "principles" or
> myths in this particular case.

Amen. I've run into this idiocy more than a few time lately, with so-called leftists and anarchists arguing *in favor* of the military because it provides an "option" for working class people. Some of this has to do with a shallow leftist worship of anything the working class does. The more common argument is that working class people are forced by poverty into the military. Poverty certainly limits options, but plenty of poor young people find a way to survive without joining the military. It's kind of sick to hear anti-war people arguing in favor of poor people joining the military!

As Wojtek points out, people who join the military have made a *choice* and they bear responsibility for that choice. No excuses for anybody who chooses to join the military.

Chuck