[lbo-talk] "the soldiers fighting in Iraq and elsewhere are defending the demonstrators' right to protest"

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Tue Nov 29 08:19:03 PST 2005

Carrol wrote:

> Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:
> >
> > boddi satva lbo.boddi at gmail.com
> >
> > > Finally, you have not put forward any rational concept of
> > > international law at all.
> >
> > ....The way you talk about law and orders,
> > there is no such thing as illegal orders, . . .
>
> I want to repeat my earlier point that this whole thread has been
> distorted from the git-go by b.s.'s initial framing of it. It's
> main result has been to create static between posters who, while
> disagreeing, didn't need to disagree in quite such a hostile way
> had the topic been decently framed.

Let's get away from Boddi's framing, then. Consider this: "That the soldiers fighting in Iraq and elsewhere are defending the demonstrators' right to protest was a refrain repeated over and over again by Fort Benning supporters [i.e., counter-protesters against the annual SOA Watch protesters" (Michelle O'Donnell, "Annual Protest Draws Ire of Those Supporting Troops," New York times, <http:// www.soaw.org/new/newswire_detail.php?id=945>). I've heard the same refrain elsewhere, too. That -- "the soldiers fighting in Iraq and elsewhere are defending the demonstrators' right to protest" -- is the myth that needs to be questioned in public.

Yoshie Furuhashi <http://montages.blogspot.com> <http://monthlyreview.org> <http://mrzine.org>