[lbo-talk] Re: Instinct

Arash arash at riseup.net
Tue Nov 29 17:55:44 PST 2005

We already agreed from our discussion on twin studies that there is a genetic influence on male homosexuality and when considering this group produces 80% fewer children then heterosexual men (cited in the last email), a puzzle emerges as to why evolution didn't select out these genes that can lead to such a negative effect on reproductive success. It's open area of inquiry that a number of biologists are investigating, one such example: http://www.telegraphindia.com/1041101/asp/knowhow/story_3923341.asp

Do you really think this genetically influenced behavior just emerged out of the blue in recent human history (last 10,000 years)? How did it spread out to 2-6% of the population? For that matter shouldn't we be witnessing a rapid decline in the exclusive homosexuality group as there is such a negative effect on reproduction for this segment of the population? I don't see any reason to believe that is the case.

Arash

-----Original Message----- From: lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org [mailto:lbo-talk-bounces at lbo-talk.org] On Behalf Of Miles Jackson Sent: Tuesday, November 29, 2005 11:32 AM To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Subject: RE: [lbo-talk] Re: Instinct

On Tue, 29 Nov 2005, Arash wrote:

> My point here isn't about the stability of categories, it's about the
> evolutionary puzzle of near-exclusive homosexuality, which you denied
> existed.

If near-exclusive homosexuality didn't exist in human prehistory, there's no puzzle to be solved. --Assuming that near-exclusive homosexuality/heterosexuality existed hundreds of thousands of years ago is wild conjecture that is not even supported by primate analogies. Based on our nearest primate cousins, it's much more realistic of assume that early humans engaged in various kinds of opportunistic heterosexual and homosexual sex. (Ah, the good old days--)