[lbo-talk] The Working-Poor Draft

Mike Ballard swillsqueal at yahoo.com.au
Tue Nov 29 16:25:33 PST 2005

As Wojtek points out, people who join the military have made a *choice* and they bear responsibility for that choice. No excuses for anybody who chooses to join the military.

Chuck ******************* "T'ain't necessarily so."

Reminds me of the argument which implies that the people in a (bourgeois)democracy get the government they deserve. This is way too much emphasis on the autonomy of individual consciousness. I joined the military because I was socially taught that I had an obligation to do so. Not one person *who I could hear*, told me anything differnt, most especially not those in positions of political authority. I can see now that it was a mistake. But, I couldn't see it then. I couldn't see it because I had been brought up in a certain milleau ("the idiocies of rural life") in a class dominated society engaged in a "Cold War".

Regards, Mike B)

Read "The Perthian Brickburner": http://profiles.yahoo.com/swillsqueal