[lbo-talk] the underprivileged soldier?

joanna 123hop at comcast.net
Tue Nov 29 22:23:17 PST 2005

Doug Henwood wrote:

> No one said anything about "great" alternatives to the military. But
> the fact is that the military is more or less a cross-section of
> American society. Slightly poorer than average, slightly darker, but
> not all that much so. And, it seems, better educated than average. I
> know it was a Heritage guy that ran the numbers, but until you can
> find some actual fault with them, you don't really have much to say.

I'm not sure about the educational level. One of my boyfriends used to earn his living by writing training material for the army. His explicit instructions were to aim for a 6th grade level and no higher. He found it quite a challenge to describe modern weapons systems and procedures at the sixth grade level.

Joanna