[lbo-talk] LRB: The Demonization of Jane Fonda

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Tue Nov 29 22:47:24 PST 2005

This is a much more fascinating subject than I thought it would be. Rick Perlstein has a long and very good review article on it that is available to non-subscribers at the London Review of Books website:

http://www.lrb.co.uk/v27/n22/perl01_.html

The story of her getting crushed by the Nixonites actually sheds light on a the foundations of a lot of things that are very contemporary -- the Iraq war, Bushit tactics, the Swift Boat campaign -- and some things I realize now I never really understood, like the POW fixation and the Jane Fonda case itself. And it's a great antidote to Nixon nostalgia. It's remarkable how many things that seem new with Bush were not only invented by the Nixonians but have yet to be surpassed.

Michael