[lbo-talk] Re: Instinct

Ylle ylle521 at highstream.net
Wed Nov 30 09:27:47 PST 2005

At 02:12 AM 11/30/05, Joanna wrote:

>It seems to me that an identity is a kind of short cut or form of
>mental and emotional lazyness. It gives you an instant code of
>conduct and set of beliefs -- an aspirin for life. The more
>interesting question is why do we need this identity so much.

Not sure where I picked up this notion, but I like it: That having an "identity", esp as we interpret that to be in Western terms, is exactly as you say, a shortcut to smooth(er) social relations. An aspirin for life. But I dont think that's necessarily a bad thing, in fact it can come in damn handy in trying to negotiate just about any society. And I think identity issues are so important in our culture right now because it's become so damn complex and difficult for the vast majority to survive in it, and it's getting worse every day. Any shortcuts or shorthand for getting by with any kind of sense of agency, bring it! *Picking* a label and wearing it is a great device to getting into the room, whatever that might be.

This entire society *has a migrane*, so "an aspirin for life" sounds like a great thing on it's face. Hell, with all the drugging that's going on in this country on all levels of society, lots of people are looking for something a lot stronger than aspirin....

Maria