[lbo-talk] the underprivileged soldier?

boddi satva lbo.boddi at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 14:58:38 PST 2005

C. Wojtek,

As a fellow atheist I abhor killing because it destroys something extraordinary. Human life is the last thing on earth one should destroy.

Anyway, my argument about the military as an employer is hardly bombast. I'm pointing out that the argument used here that the military is pure choice is no more valid than for any other large employer - even less so because the military accepts people with only high-school degrees and provides excellent training and benefits (unless, of course, you have to go to war).

Capitalists make much of the fact that individuals can choose whether or not to take jobs, ignoring the fact that employment under any but capitalist terms is very difficult to find. People on this list who portray soldiers as if they are people who have chosen to do something immoral and "illegal" are ignoring the fact that military jobs are an important part of our economy and workers cannot afford to ignore them.

boddi