[lbo-talk] Question re: Religion vs "spirituality"

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 30 18:37:12 PST 2005

Someone just forwarded me something along the lines of Socrates challenging someone along the lines of claiming to be "spiritual" without believing in "spirits." "Spiritual," after all, assumes the word "spirit" in it. And, yes, this is even after the Greek-English translation.

And for the record I am ABSOLUTELY hostile to religion and spirituality. (Check out my "Anti-Religion' radio Shizo radio broadcast.) As I've said before, an ex-gf told me the rocks in her front yard were more spiritual than me. I took that as a compliment. I think 'spirituality' is what atheists/agnostics claim -- who want to get laid. =)

-B.

Joanna asked:

"But why the hostility? There are so many forms of self-righteousness; the claim to spirituality is just one of them. And sometimes people do mean something important by it, which deserves better than an insult."